Picture this:

Monday, March 27, 2006

Cleaning House & Mind


Today is clean up day....

First~I would like to thank the kind HippieAnge83, for sharing her blog page setup skills.
I hesitantly declare that my previously boasted about links are now operational.

Second~ Question to fellow bloggers: Am I supposed to ask permission before I add someones blog link to my own blog page? (Now that I have already done it?)


Third~ Cleaning my mind. AKA - The Hills Have Eyes.
Friday I did something so stupid. What really makes me mad is that I knew better.
I investigated first, had appropriate information, and then decided to do the stupid thing.

My daughter and I had a movie night. We both wanted to see the horror flick remake: The Hills Have Eyes. I've seen Wes Craven movies before. Some of them are more funny than scary.
After inviting friends to go, I decided to lookup the review of the movie on http://www.dove.org
This review site give great reviews including a Christian Worldview, language, violence, sexual scenes, etc.
Every possible thing I read in that review told me that this was not an appropriate movie for us .
I decide to leave my brain at home and go see the disgusting movie.
Loaded with fresh buttered popcorn and cherry pepsi, we barely live through the first few minutes of the film, showing bombs exploding and mutated human beings, 2-3 per second.
Jokingly, I ask her, Do you want to leave?
Another 30 minutes and we are jerked into an experience of violence like I have never seen before. Now, honestly, I read in the review:

Content Description:Sex: Woman brutally raped. Another woman sexually molested.
Language: F-15; D-3; GD-2; JC-3; BS-1; S-3
Violence: Many gory scenes so graphic at times, this reviewer could barely watch.

So I told myself, we will close our eyes for the rape scene. Is that INSANE? Yes, Of course it is.
And, we stay and watch the human prey hunted down by the mutants, and brutally killed.
This was so assaulting and violent to my eyes and ears, I could not make myself get out of my seat and leave. After 5 minutes of the rape scene, I realize that my daughter is begging me to leave. ( have one hand covering my ears, and one hand covering her eyes, so that she can use both hands to cover her ears)

We get out of the theater, (only about 8 people watching the movie) and get in the car.
Both of us, emotionally and spiritually devastated. I was sick to my stomach for making such a ridiculous and grievous choice. The theater is near our friends home, the ones who wisely opted out of the experience. We call and beg them to go to dessert with us. We go to Red Robin (Yummm!) and attempt to purge the experience from our hearts and souls.

The sweetest older man came to our table. A magician! Now, usually I have no patience for these annoying people. But I wanted to be distracted. Get some new information into my brain.
This sweet man told the corniest jokes. It was just what we needed. He stayed with us close to 30 minutes, I bet. Before long we were laughing and working hard to salvage the evening. I believe God sent him to us.

I know better than participating in such a thing under the false title of "entertainment"
The Hills Have Eyes, is entertainment for the likes of Hell and its kingdom.
Whats worse is that the Holy Spirit counseled me against this, and I gave Him a VETO.
I Vetoed the Holy Spirit! Now I repent for my sin. I hate when I do that to myself, and hate it more when I do it to my Lord.
My choice hurt my daughter and myself. Our souls are scarred. We've talked about this and decided we will use it as a lesson in trusting the Holy Spirit. I hate to admit that sometimes I have to experience pain in order to learn a lesson. They're the lessons I remember the longest, the ones I never want to repeat.


4 Comments:

  • At 4:11 PM, Blogger tina fabulous said…

    in my opinion, you dont have to ask... and since i am linked i guess my vote counts! btw, its surprisingly delightful.

    thanks for the review of the movie. i debating checking it out and now i certainly will not!

    yikes.

     
  • At 3:06 PM, Blogger Tracey, in MI said…

    oh man, what a night.

    Seems like I only learn things the hard way. Maybe not over a movie- but a hundred other things... Been there. Wish i didn't have to.

    love you- ts

     
  • At 11:55 AM, Blogger KayMac said…

    I, too, have questions about blog etiquette. Like, I assume it is ok to comment on everyone's blogs b/c they have put them out there in cyberspace. But is it?

     
  • At 1:22 PM, Blogger Peta said…

    I think every time it's OK to comment. About linking...depends. I also didn't want anyone to know about my blog at first except for few people. But if it's obvious that the blog is public, I think you don't have to. Aren't we (bloggers) happy if someone visits our blog? I am...

    Anyway, sorry to hear this story. I hope you both are feeling better...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home